Thursday, March 26, 2009

Are you living a Happy Life in the Lord?

Are you living a Happy Life in the Lord? Have you ever spoken the words, I just want to be Happy”? I know that I have. Early in life, I decided what happiness was for me. I wanted to own my own business, live in a big house and have a nanny for my one “child”. I wanted to be married but not before earning a college degree so that I wouldn’t have to ever depend on a man for survival. After high school, I started down that road to achieve all that I planned for my life. I earned my college degree in accounting and two years later I started my own business. At the age of 25, I had my own business, owned a condo and drove an Acura 2.5 TL. I had a six figure income and I was legit! I would later learn that I was totally on the wrong track. Looking back, I realize it is so easy to pray and be gracious when all is well. I wasn’t attending bible study, but I was going to church and Sunday school because I had always been in the church. I wasn’t true to God’s word because I was the CAPTAIN of my fate. God realizing that I was headed in the wrong direction decided that He needed to turn me around. When I had my first child “Matthew”, my life began to change then because I’ve never held to many babies. In my single years, when I kept my niece or nephews their moms had to bring them bathed and fed (I would later apologize for that). I loved them but remember I was Miss It. It was when Matthew was diagnosed with a heart problem that moments later I would pick up a phone and call my partners in Washington and ask out of my consulting contract that I had with the Atlanta Housing Authority and I would send all of my tax clients to a competitor that I had befriended and my accounting clients elsewhere. I needed to be there to care for my child after his open heart surgery. As fate would have it, my Matthew didn’t survive the surgery. It was at this point that I came to realize that the material possession and the income were great but it wasn’t everything. I would have traded it all for my child. Well, I never went back to work and for the past seven years, I have been a stay at home mom and I haven’t wanted for anything. Sure, we could have done a lot with the extra income but God has provided us with all of our needs and many of our wants. I have spent valuable time with my children loving and caring for them something that I had never planned to do. I have been able to rediscover and grow in my creative abilities. I know that I’m living my best life because I’m living in God’s will. I pray everyday for his wisdom and guidance for me to be the best person, Christian, wife and mother. I would like to challenge each of you to ask the question “Am I living my best life”. Your best life should be: the life that God has planned for you, the life that will provide you with a peace and happiness that no one could take away, the life that would allow you to smile if you lost all of your material possessions, the life will allow you to say that all is well with your soul. Matthew 6:33 tells us "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you". We have more money and material possessions than our ancestors ever dreamed but we have triple the debt, stress, and others problems. Since we have made so many achievements I find that we depend more on ourselves than God.
My prayer for all of us is to be able to live a Happy Life in the Lord. Benita

No comments:

Post a Comment