Monday, August 3, 2009

Would you Like some Cheese to go with that Whine?

Back in 2005, I wrote a song which has the following lines: There are many situations in life, Everyone has a story. There are many ups and down, We were never promised a life without worry. If we, not only as people but as Chritians, would come to the understanding that we were never promised a life without ups and downs maybe we could handle them better. Job 14:1 tells us "Man who is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble." That means everyone will suffer some kind trouble and some more than others. When we know that problems will come maybe we can be better prepared to face them. Now does that mean that we live everyday wondering when and if the problem will come? Absolutely not. We must live everyday thankful. Sometimes we think that we are the only people in the world with a problem. In fact, there are hundreds of people dealing with the same problems that we are. So when problems arise in our lives we can do one of two things. We can either whine and complain or we can face it. Back in 2005, when my daughterLauren was diagnosed with cancer. I figured out early on that I could cry my eyeballs out, I could ask the question "why me or my family or my child?" a hundred times over but it wasn't going to change the fact that she had cancer. I could've spent everyday whinning and complaining that we had to move to from our very nice home into a two bedroom apartment with one bathroom, that we had to be at the hospital everyday, that we spent hours in the waiting rooms, or weeks at a time in the hospital or I could come up with a strategy to get through the problem. I know that only God would give us the strenght to strategize our way through that most dark time in our lives. I begin to find creative ways to establish a new normal for our family and Memphis became our home not just place we had to go for treatment. Whatever God allows you to experience, he provides a way. God provided us with many new friends that we met in Memphis. Many of them were sent to our rescue by the many friends we had in Alabama who had connections in Memphis. We found a church home and they welcomed us and prayed with us and comforted us. We got out and did normal things and we really enjoyed the experience that we HAD to endure. Our friends and family back in Alabama and other places didn't know how to help us but they sent us gift cards to eat out (a break from hospital food or cooking) or just money for us to do things, they drove to Memphis and visited us in addition to prayers. We didn't want for thing. Now, I'm not saying that you won't ever get down or feel bad or depressed about a problem but whenever you do just think of all the blessing you have in spite of your problems. Things could always be worse. Yes, I was at St. Jude with my child but you would not believe that there are a few families there with two children! Yes, I've lost a child but there are some families who have lost all their children at one time. The old saying is when life gives you a lemon make some lemonade! If you are in the midst of a storm make a decision today to pray and strategize your way through it. Pity parties are no fun and provide no comfort or solutions to your problems. Be strong and trust in the Lord is my prayer. Love, Benita

No comments:

Post a Comment