Tuesday, December 1, 2009

No Charge

After having our health insurance through COBRA since February of this year, Ken and I decided it was time to change our insurance. For one, our insurance was with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama and along with trying to find doctors to accept it we were starting to pay for items that we hadn't in Alabama because we now live in Tennessee. We applied for new insurance and let our COBRA laspe because the process was about 4 weeks or less for approval. Well as fate would have it on Wednesday November 18th, I was working at home and the phone rang. It was the school's secretary telling me that Lauren wasn't feeling well and was coughing. I told them that I would come pick her up. Before I could get to a stopping point the phone rang again and it was the school's nurse telling me that Kennedy had thrown up really bad and wasn' feeling well. Well both girls left home and didn't seem to be sick so I left to pick them up and spent the day caring for them and making them feel extra special as the little sickies in the house. Lauren appeared to feel better but Kennedy continued to throw up. So guess what now I have to take two little girls to the doctor with no insurance. Well, what could I do but take them knowing that I would have to pay in full for their visits which I would expect to cost about $300 or more (Ouch!). I made the appointment and took them in and informed them that we no longer had the BCBS insurance and that we were currently uninsured. The receptionist wrote a big PIF (pay in full)on the bottom of each girls form. The doctor came in the room and examined both girls. This was her first time seeing Kennedy and she had only seen Lauren for 5 year check-up. After examing both girls she started to fill out her paperwork and circling the codes for billling. When she got to the bottom, she asked me why is this PIF on here? Why are you paying in full? I told her the we were currently without insurance but was in the process of getting some. She looked at me and said I'm not going to charge you and you don't have insurance. She took that form marked through the PIF and wrote NO CHARGE. I was shocked and speechless. When I gained my composure I thanked her and said God bless you. I quickly left got in my car to call Ken but he was in class so I called my parents and I just cried and cried. Tears of joy of course because it was just confirmation that God is in control. I am also encouraged to know that there still good doctors out there who doesn't just see dollar signs but people. She cared enough for me and my family and I'm sure others to help us out. I will always pray that she will be able to continue to help others as God leads her. I will always pray for her health and that of her family. I will always try to be a blessing to others as some have been for me. This season of Thanksgiving was made special by the gift of love and compassion on behalf of our doctor who thought it not robbery to care for my girls free of charge! Giving thanks with a grateful heart, Benita

No comments:

Post a Comment