Saturday, March 23, 2013

Heart for Worship


I can remember growing up in the home of a preacher and pastor that getting ready for Sunday worship services was a big ordeal.  Preparing for worship always started on Saturday.  First, we prepared spiritually by studying the Sunday school lesson.  Then we prepared the physical body making sure the hair and clothes were ready.  We went to bed to ensure adequate rest for the day of worship.  On Sunday morning we woke up to the sounds of the local radio station playing gospel music which always aided the heart in preparation.    In addition to all of that, just knowing that God had brought us through another week always increased the desire to worship.  It seemed to me now that the preparation was a “Big Deal”  By the time we made it to church, we were in obedience with Psalm 95:1-3 which says “Oh come, let us sing to the Lord!  Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.  Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving.  Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.  For the Lord is the great God”.   
 Even to this day, I try to make it a practice to prepare for Sunday worship but on occasion I miss the mark.  Last weekend, I missed the mark for proper preparation and found that while in worship that I was so tired even to the point of yawning.  While I sat listening to the Pastor preach from the depths of his heart, I forced myself to listen and stay alert.  Then I became shameful because I thought about the hard work that he must have put into prayer and preparation that I was barely able to receive because I was too tired.  I also thought about how when I need God, I surely wouldn’t want him to be as tired I was at that moment.  When I cry out for him for blessings, I don’t want Him to say “Give me a minute, I’m too tired”.
When we have not properly prepared our hearts for worship, it is difficult to have a true worship experience.  When we don’t have a true worship experience, we tend to blame it on many things including the preacher and the choir or the music.  We become quick to offer the many suggestions why worship is not fulfilling.  So I ask the question “Is your heart prepared for worship”?
Oftentimes people bring a tainted heart to worship and expect to be entertained into a spiritual moment.  When we have a heart to go and worship the true and living God then nothing should prevent our worship.  Our focus should be on Christ.  Make up your mind today to prepare your heart for worship.  Declare today to prepare your heart for true worship.  David said in Psalm 96:9 “Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.” 
I am going to work hard to make sure I keep a heart prepared for worship.  Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Benita! This was very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it takes me a while to read but this was worth my time. Our parents knew what it meant to prepare ourselves for true rest on Sundays. Thanks! Elaine

      Delete