Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Miserable Comforters

Can you think of a time when you went to friends or they came to offer you comfort but instead of receiving comfort you were made to feel mad, upset or hurt? Or better yet, have you ever instead of being a comfort to someone made them feel quite the opposite?



In Job 16:2; Job calls his three friends "miserable comforters" because they wrongly concluded that he iwas being punished by God for some secret and un-confessed sin. These three friends didn't necessarily misrepresent God's attributes; however, they did misrepresent His character! They didn’t provide Job with comfort as he suffered through his God ordained test but instead caused additional suffering when trying to figure out the purpose for the test.


When I reflected on the words “miserable comforters” I thought about the many times during my sufferings that I was made to feel worse by words of others who thought that they were doing right. But I also had to ask myself the question, “Had I ever been a miserable comforter”? With a sad heart; I would have to answer yes. I can remember a time where I’m sure I made this person feel really bad about a decision that she made against my advice. Even though the decision was made, that person was suffering and I should have been there for her instead of reminding her of how right I was. It didn’t change anything nor did it make it better.


Whether you’ve been a miserable comforter or have been in company of miserable comforters remember what Matthew 5:44 tells us "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,..."


We as Christians should remember that as comforters, we are to help those during their times of suffering and not make them feel worse or as Job wishing for death. We should at all time before opening our mouths, seek God wisdom on how we should act or what we should say. Remember always the wisdom of Proverbs 15:2 which says “The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.”


Don’t let it be said that you are a “miserable comforter”.

Be Blessed,
Benita

No comments:

Post a Comment