Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Deuteronomy Chapter 6 Test: Are you Failing?

When I became pregnant with my first child, I immediately ran out and purchased the following books: “What to Expect While Expecting”, “What to Expect the First Year” and “What to Expect the Toddler Years”. These books provided me with a lot of great information to help me in being the best mom. I read these books almost daily or at least searched for an answer to a question in addition to consulting with my mom. I was so convinced that these books were just the best and used them so much my mom called me “the book mommy”.


I’m sure that I’m not the only women to have done this or at least relied on the wealth of knowledge from grandmamma or another elderly mom. We do this in effort to make sure that we providing the best care for our little ones. We want to give them the best of everything that we and life has to offer.

However; we have been commanded to give our children something else. Deuteronomy 6:6-8 tells us “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

In the midst of giving our children the best of the material possessions, clothes, and filling the trophy case full of ribbons and trophies we need to make sure that we don’t fail to teach them the word of the Lord. God’s word is what will help them to make the right decisions. God’s word helps them be convicted when considering or doing wrong. Children are born into sin and they need to know that they have a Savior who died on the cross to save them. They need to know why they need God and why they need to worship him so that it won’t become “just the thing to do”. They need to fear the Lord and love Him with all their hearts.

It is our responsibility as parents to ensure that their children are taught statues and judgments of the Lord. It is our responsibility to hold true to God’s word and not be bullied into letting and giving them the approval to do things that are contrary to God word.

The question today is, are you passing of failing the Deuteronomy chapter 6 test. If you need further guidance please read the entire chapter of Deuteronomy 6 and make an effort to be obedient by giving your child/children the best that life has to offer “the Word of God”.

I’m sorry that I can’t guarantee that your child/children will be little angels and perfect but we must be obedient and the best stewards that we can be and God will take care of the rest.

Be strong and be blessed,

Benita




No comments:

Post a Comment